While on vacation I always struggle with having self control when it comes to buying souvenirs. I guess the shopper in me takes over and I just want to buy everything but after my run in with the law at customs in LA after returning from Peru (coca and cacao are not interchangeable and WILL get you in trouble if the mix up the words…trust me), I have come to live by the below four guidelines.
1. CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT: Knick knacks drive me crazy. I used to buy snow globes while traveling and ultimately, this created tons of clutter on my shelves. So after a trip to Nuremberg,Germany, one of the worlds Christmas ornament capitals, I decided this would be the perfect travel souvenir that I could bring home, put away, bring out once a year, admire and then pack away again to be adored the following year.
2. CLOTHES REFLECTIVE OF THE REGION: Hence this embroidered top from Jalisco, Mexico. Other items I have bought include leather boots in Buenos Aires, a colorful backpack in Peru, full outfits from vintage stores in Paris, leather bags in Florence (although be warned, sometimes they will sell you lower quality leather, so be careful) and sunglasses in Indianapolis for the Indy 500.
3. BRACELET: Almost everywhere you travel will have some local type of jewelry that is both classic as well as act as a fond reminder of your trip.
4. PHOTOS: Sometimes, I feel like the photos are more important that anything you can bring back.
Other than that, happy shopping.
Also, check out where I have been Linking Up this week!
Keep it Clever
Do you know the difference between a cocktail dress and a gown? Do you know how a man’s suit should fit? How about what you should buy on vacation (as there are SO many things!)… Well, for all the little bits and pieces you need to know this season, we’ve got you covered in this week’s links!
Links à la Mode: December 4th
- Al Balsam Life: 2014 Skincare Favorites
- Attire Club: Top 10 Male Models to Know
- Cat Eyes and Skinny Jeans: Nails Inc. Let It Snow Review
- Couture Stories: Age is a Number: Timeless
- Curvy CEO: Because Social Justice is Always in Style
- DressCode:HighFashion: Kate Moss and Cara Delevigne Unveil Burberry’s Festive Window
- Fawkeshunter: Dress like James Bond: How to Fit a Mens Suit
- Ginger Side of Life: What to Buy While on Vacation
- Happy Pretty Sweet: Crazy Cat Lady Gift Guide
- Head2Heels: Ode to Awkward
- Kremb de la Kremb: Hong Kong in Shanghai With Louella Odie
- Modavracha’s Spot: The Manket Trend: Men’s Blanket Scarves
- Ms. Fabulous: Shop Small: Awesome Indie Fashion
- Musings of a Fashion Designer: Fashion Pakistan Week
- My Fashion S/ash Life: Tips on Dressing for a Creative Commercial Job
- MySolee: The Dress Code in Effect
- State of Cate: 8 Ways to Stay Organized
- The Daily Luxe: Top 5 Christmas Fashion Campaigns
- We Are Ready Made: Fly With Laurence Airline
- We The Unicorns: BEYWATCH: “Haunted” Makeup Tutorial